Arthur Rackham

I have chosen to look at the play Ashputtel by Carol Ann Duffy (adapted form the Grimm tales). I am focusing on scene eight, the third and final feast, where Ashputtel loses her slipper.







I started my research with Rackham (1829-1939) as he did illustrations for the Grimm tales. My production designs would fall into the fantasy genre. The theme I explored was fairgrounds. The idea for the stage was for it to be bright with lots of lights, and for the back drop to be in black and white. This idea came from 'The Wizard of Oz', where the two tone
world represents normal boring everyday life and the colourful world represents something exciting.












































































Thursday 20 January 2011

The model of the dancing area.

The third photo shows the base. It is made of foam board and 6mm doweling. As the picture shows there are two holes in the sides of the elipse. Originally I wanted to have poles here, but I decided that they would limit the audiences view.

The second photo shows the front part of the banner. The relief effect was created using polyfiller (the texture of joghurt), piped through a syringe. I got this idea from David Neat's book. In my sketch model the banner was made with one single sheet of paper. However, even after scoring into the mount board, it would not bend into place. So I had to cut it into sections, this was difficult to put together.

The fifth photo shows the steps. To build them I used David Neat's book, they are made from mount board and are a 1:25 scale of the stairs in my house. The rise is 6mm, the tread is 10mm.

The final photo is a sketch model of the theatre.

The first photo is the model complete. I'm happy with the bottom of it. However the banner could have been made better. For the real thing I would want bright lights around the banner, to make it more fairground like. The colours I used were: Bright red, Royal blue, Bright yellow, Light Green, Gold, White, Black and Burnt Umber.

No comments:

Post a Comment