Arthur Rackham

I have chosen to look at the play Ashputtel by Carol Ann Duffy (adapted form the Grimm tales). I am focusing on scene eight, the third and final feast, where Ashputtel loses her slipper.







I started my research with Rackham (1829-1939) as he did illustrations for the Grimm tales. My production designs would fall into the fantasy genre. The theme I explored was fairgrounds. The idea for the stage was for it to be bright with lots of lights, and for the back drop to be in black and white. This idea came from 'The Wizard of Oz', where the two tone
world represents normal boring everyday life and the colourful world represents something exciting.












































































Thursday 20 January 2011

Back drop and scenery.

This is the back drop. These are photocopies from my sketch book. I did intend on having a ferris wheel in the backdrop which would have been lit up from behind. However, when I put this into the model box set, it wasn't visable to the extreme seats. Taking the ferris wheel out does change the look a lot. It doesn't look like a fairground, which was my intention, it's more fairground inspired.

I think these trees would have worked well as flats, it would have given more depth to the stage. I also didn't include the helter skelter, as I left myself short of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment