Arthur Rackham

I have chosen to look at the play Ashputtel by Carol Ann Duffy (adapted form the Grimm tales). I am focusing on scene eight, the third and final feast, where Ashputtel loses her slipper.







I started my research with Rackham (1829-1939) as he did illustrations for the Grimm tales. My production designs would fall into the fantasy genre. The theme I explored was fairgrounds. The idea for the stage was for it to be bright with lots of lights, and for the back drop to be in black and white. This idea came from 'The Wizard of Oz', where the two tone
world represents normal boring everyday life and the colourful world represents something exciting.












































































Thursday 20 January 2011

Ashputtel's Dress
















The costume is inspired by Arthur Rackham, which led me to 17th Century French fashion. However I did not want a 'period' dress, so for modern inspiration I used Jean Paul Gaultier.
The drawings show the developements of my design. They are annotated in my sketch book. I think the grey dress is the best design. I would have like to develope it more. The fabric that I would like to use is a see through polyester. A corset would have to be worn and the gold structure would be made of metal. The hair would be worn long and wavy, like Rackham's drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment