Arthur Rackham

I have chosen to look at the play Ashputtel by Carol Ann Duffy (adapted form the Grimm tales). I am focusing on scene eight, the third and final feast, where Ashputtel loses her slipper.







I started my research with Rackham (1829-1939) as he did illustrations for the Grimm tales. My production designs would fall into the fantasy genre. The theme I explored was fairgrounds. The idea for the stage was for it to be bright with lots of lights, and for the back drop to be in black and white. This idea came from 'The Wizard of Oz', where the two tone
world represents normal boring everyday life and the colourful world represents something exciting.












































































Saturday 27 November 2010

14th Century Germany




These are a research pages taken from my sketch book. I was looking at 14th century German costumes. I used the book Costume Worldwide A Historical Sourcebook Featuring the Classic artworks of Friedrich Hottenroth and Auguste Racinet. I found this book very helpful.




Although Rackham was influenced by the 13th Century, I found the pictures in the book taken from the 14th Century reminded me more of his work.




I don't like the clothing of this period, there isn't a lot of structure or shape to the women's clothes.


I think the men's clothing is slightly more interesting, but I'm not really inspired by it. Also I don't like the colours they are too bold.


No comments:

Post a Comment